Walking, walking, everywhere...

So I've taken up the fine art of walking. Yup, you heard me: Walking. It may sound relatively boring, and easy, and not so difficult, but in all honesty, walking is amazing.

A few weeks ago I started feeling like shit, and I mean really like shit. I felt tired, and sick all the time. I was cranky and just pissed off at everything - kitchen sink included. It took heart palpitations, and chest pains to bust my balls enough to get moving. So I decided to walk, because mainly I'm not in any shape to run, and I really don't like running anyhow. It hurts my legs, and knees, and feet, and ankles, and fucking everything else that's connected. So running was def out.

My first walk took me 1.5hrs to complete, and I walked just over 6.5km. I was tired at the end of it. My feet were sore. I was sweating like a bull in heat, and I could barely finish it. But I did it. I went out the next few days, and then days turned into weeks. I now walk anywhere between 6 and 10km daily. Last week I put in over 40km total, and I've lost weight, feel better, am no longer as stressed, and I actually lost some tummy fat! Exercise is good - go figure!

Oh, and I do walk at a pretty fast pace - enough to make me breathe heavily, and boost my heart-rate to about 75-80% of my max. I think that's pretty good. I also took the time to think out my problems of the day, while admiring much of the city I live in. I notice more and more each and every time I go out. I wrote my short story while on my walk, just thinking of what I wanted to say, so walking is also creatively productive too. I've also been sleeping better, so there's an added bonus of sorts.

Maybe walking might not be the most intense activity out there, but it has helped me immensely, and I just can't get enough of it.

So whatever you do, just do it, dude! Walk on!

No comments:

Post a Comment