I'll Stand By You, If You Stand By Me

This evening I watched Stand By Me. If you haven't seen it, and you don't know what I'm talking about, it's an old movie, from the mid 80-'s, and based on a novella by Stephen King. It's a classic coming of age movie that I intend to show to my children as soon as I can. I think there is something to learn in this movie that, as a father, I find incredibly hard to explain: the magic of friendships.

Like your first kiss, how can you explain childhood friendship of having never experienced it? This movie is one of only a few that have ever made me feel incredibly at home. How do I explain that? I can't. I just can't, and even if I tried, my words wouldn't do it justice.

I'm a bit of a Wil Wheaton fan, and that was the main reason why I ended up watching that movie tonight. I urge you all to do the same, but not just to see four great actors as kids, but to see how a director makes magic - how a director can bring an idea to life in a way that I think we can all relate to somehow. Watch it for the idea's that come alive, that jump at you through the screen, and ask yourself how you feel.

Until then, I sincerely hope you guys watched it - they don't make movies like that anymore - and that's too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment