The Magicians

So right now I've started reading Lev Grossman's The Magicians. I saw it the other day while wandering the straits of Indigo in Laval. Along with one of those newfangled water bottles - the ones you can add fruit to a sieve type of thing inside - I picked up the first book of his Magicians trilogy. I had a good idea of what the story was about, in that it was supposed to be a mix of Harry Potter, and Narnia, with a dash of bad language. Which it isn't...but it's pretty close.

The basic story is about this adolescent genius, Quentin Coldwater, who basically gets a chance to go to a real magic school (Brakebills). For magicians...for five years...who will eventually fall into a discipline (House?). Sound familiar? Oh, and like Narnia, you can only get into Brakebills through some special event, like through a portal or doorway (closet, anyone?).

I've gotten about a third of the way in, and I am a bit disappointed, actually. Whereas the book is well written, the story is somewhat lagging. I don't feel any affinity to the main character either, nor do I for and of the supporting characters. There is simply no one that I am currently "rooting" for, in other words.

I like his take on magic, and how it works, but the idea, as much as I would like to think is better than J.K Rowlings', just isn't as a whole. I mean I like his vision of how magic works, and what you can do with it. I think that's bang on. I also think he writes better than JKR, so there's that. But it's missing that awesome story that came with one of the most brilliant evil doers of all time. Basically, from what I have right thus far, there ain't much substance behind the flash.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, and maybe I'm not, so just judge for yourselves. Borrow the book, and read some lines. Who knows, once I'm done, I might edit this post to reflect a different opinion...either way, for now, I'd wait until it's on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment